If you’re heading over to Tennessee to enjoy the timeless music and world-class whiskey, you might also be wondering about the legal status of kratom in the state. After all, every state has its own unique set of kratom laws, and Tennessee is no exception. So is kratom legal in Tennessee? And if so, what exactly are the current kratom laws in Tennessee? Fortunately, the legal landscape is pretty straightforward.
Is Kratom Legal in Tennessee in 2023?
Kratom is legal in Tennessee as of 2023—albeit with some minor caveats that we’ll cover in the next section. As noted by the Office of the Attorney General in 2017, “Possession of the Kratom plant in its natural botanical form should not subject a person to potential criminal prosecution under Tennessee law.”
However, there have been numerous efforts to enact tough kratom laws in Tennessee over the years. In fact, kratom almost became illegal as recently as 2022, with the passage of House Bill 2043. The bill was largely concerned with tianeptine (a strong antidepressant) and tianeptine preparations, but legislators at one point added an amendment to the bill that sought to ban kratom sales, distribution, and possession.
This amendment was removed before the bill became law, so kratom remains fully legal in the state. This is good news for kratom advocates, as the amendment would have made kratom possession a class A misdemeanor, subject to up to one year in jail.
Existing Kratom Laws in Tennessee
Although kratom is legal in Tennessee, there are some laws that people should be aware of. First, it’s illegal to purchase, distribute, or possess kratom with synthetic alkaloids (as noted in the aforementioned Attorney General’s statement). Kratom must be 100% all-natural. The possession of any kratom products with synthetic mitragynine or 7-hydroxymitragynine is a class A misdemeanor.
In addition, you must be at least 21 years of age to purchase kratom in Tennessee; it is illegal for businesses to sell kratom to minors in the state. This is a major component of the Kratom Consumer Protection Act, which seeks to keep kratom out of the hands of minors as part of a broader effort to ensure consumer safety for all.
Kratom Laws Outside of Tennessee
Although Tennessee’s kratom laws are consumer-friendly, there are two bordering states where you must exercise caution: Alabama and Arkansas. Both of these states prohibit the sale and possession of kratom, and you don’t want to get caught with it if you’re visiting or passing through. Kratom possession has been a Class D felony in Alabama since 2016, and it can carry between one and five years in jail. In Arkansas, kratom possession may carry misdemeanor or felony charges depending on the amount. So make sure to keep your kratom in Tennessee (and in other kratom-friendly states).
Other Kratom Laws to Be Aware Of
There are a few important details to keep in mind as you stock up:
- Kratom isn’t just illegal in neighboring Arkansas and Tennessee. It’s also prohibited in Indiana, Wisconsin, Vermont, and Rhode Island, as well as in several cities and counties across the nation—like San Diego, California and parts of Colorado. So if you plan to take your kratom on the road or on a plane, make sure to do your research first. You don’t want to inadvertently wander into a place where your kratom could render you legally liable.
- As with any consumer product, you have to ensure that you’re buying from a reputable supplier. If kratom is adulterated with controlled substances, it could also land you in hot water. Only buy 100% all-natural kratom from reputable vendors like The Kratom Company.
- Always keep the labels present when traveling with kratom capsules and powders—especially when bringing kratom on an airplane. If the product label is missing and you’re questioned by local or federal authorities, you might have an awkward misunderstanding on your hands. Kratom is legal in Tennessee, so you won’t have anything to worry about as long as you can clearly demonstrate what you’re carrying in your bag.
What Kinds of Kratom Can You Buy in Tennessee?
Because Tennessee has a buyer-friendly kratom market, you can find all common types of kratom products, including:
- Kratom Powders: Perfect for anyone who wants maximum value and maximum versatility.
- Kratom Capsules: Convenient, pre-measured, and travel-friendly.
- Kratom Extracts: Highly concentrated for experienced connoisseurs.
You can also find all popular strains in Tennessee, including Maeng Da, Bali, Indo, and more—each of which has its own subtle distinctions. At The Kratom Company, we even carry convenient kratom variety packs, so you can compare a range of options at a single discounted price.
Where to Buy Kratom in Tennessee
Kratom is commonly sold in convenience stores, herb shops, health food stores, and other types of specialty retailers throughout Tennessee. However, for the best and most reliable experience, you should always buy kratom online.
When you shop online, you have access to a much wider selection of strains and products—you’re not limited to the slim options available at your local brick-and-mortar retailer. You can also compare product reviews, compare the effects and popular opinions of different strains, review lab test results, and learn more about the product before buying.
In addition, you typically get a better product overall when you shop online. Online kratom brands have more competition and are required to meet the stringent requirements of the most tightly regulated states. So even if you’re buying kratom in Tennessee, you’re getting a product that meets the same strict regulatory standards of states like Utah and Arizona. This is important, because even though kratom is legal in Tennessee, it’s subject to very few regulations in the state.
When shopping for kratom in Tennessee, always do your homework, and remember the golden rules: all-natural, Southeast Asian-grown, and provided by a reputable vendor. Explore the wide selection at The Kratom Company, and find your favorite varieties today!