Over the past several years, much of the research into kratom has focused on areas like mood, pain, inflammation, and sleep. But a new study is shedding light on the possible relationship between kratom and sex.
Researchers from the Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, UH Cleveland Medical Center, and Wake Forest University School of Medicine conducted a study that examined kratom’s sexual effects on men, and their findings may cause some people to look at kratom in a whole new way.
Examining the Recent Research Into Kratom and Sex
The researchers sought to examine the effects of kratom—whether positive or negative—on male sexual function. Specifically, they noted the effects of kratom on premature ejaculation. The peer-reviewed study, published in Research and Reports in Urology, consisted primarily of men between the ages of 18 and 40. All data was survey-driven.
The researchers noted the following among their findings:
- 37.7% of the men surveyed reported a positive effect on sexual function
- 20.5% of the men surveyed reported a negative effect on sexual function
- Kratom increased time to ejaculation in 66.6% of the men surveyed
- Men struggling with ejaculation prior to five minutes saw significant improvements after using kratom (51.3% before vs 12.8% after)
- Far more men reported a lack of frustration with ejaculatory function after taking kratom (21.8% before vs 61.5% after)
Overall, kratom was associated with a statistically significant increase in time to ejaculation. While some of the surveyed men interpreted this increase as a negative, the vast majority felt that the increase was a positive.
The study does have its limitations. Although the data was peer-reviewed, it’s important to note that all results were self-reported by subjects as part of a survey and may therefore be subjective or difficult to quantify. However, with more research into kratom and sex, kratom may prove to have notable benefits for men who struggle with premature ejaculation.
The Possible Link Between Kratom and Sex
We don’t know the precise mechanisms driving kratom and its sexual effects. However, as the researchers noted, kratom’s primary key alkaloids (particularly mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine) act upon certain opioid receptors, including the μ-receptors, δ-receptors, and k-receptors. These interactions likely play a key role in how kratom impacts sexual health.
The body’s fight-or-flight mechanism may also explain the interaction to some extent. Many people rely on kratom to relax and quell feelings of worry and unease. Premature ejaculation has been linked to anxiety in other studies, so the ability to relax with kratom—at least for some men—might help to reduce various types of sexual dysfunction. Again, more research is needed.
Other Research Into Kratom for Sex
Other studies have similarly shown positive associations between kratom and sex. For instance, a 2020 study published in the Journal of Herbal Medicine looked at the sexual performance of long-term kratom users in Malaysia.
This study—which also focused on male kratom users—similarly found a positive correlation between kratom and time to ejaculation. But it also noted other possible benefits as well. A majority of those surveyed reported:
- Improved sexual performance overall
- More energy during sex
- Better erections
- Longer climaxes
- Increased sexual desire
- Reduced sexual sensitivity
- An overall high satisfaction with their sex life
So far, much of the research has been centered around male sexual health. More research is still needed into the effects of kratom for women and sex.
Different Types of Kratom for Sex
The aforementioned studies contain a lot of information about how kratom was administered to subjects, but they don’t mention the specific types of kratom used in the research. This presents another limitation, as not all kratom products behave exactly the same way. The three most common types of kratom are:
- White vein kratom. Made with immature kratom leaves. Known for effects that are energizing and mood-elevating. White vein kratom is often recommended for daytime use.
- Red vein kratom. Made with mature kratom leaves. Known for effects that are relaxing and physically soothing. Red vein kratom is often recommended for evening use, or for addressing certain common aches.
- Green vein kratom. Made with semi-mature kratom leaves. Known for balanced effects that fall in between the red and white ends of the spectrum. Green vein kratom products are generally less energizing than white vein strains but still suitable for daytime use.
When it comes to kratom and sex, there’s no consensus on the ideal vein color. Because the major studies are survey-driven, it’s likely that participants used a wide variety of kratom preparations and types. Any benefits, therefore, shouldn’t be limited to one type or another.
However, based on what we already know about the different vein colors, white vein kratom might be an ideal choice for individuals with limited libido or energy for sex. Red vein kratom might be an ideal choice for men who struggle with sexual function due to stress or self-consciousness. Green vein kratom is a great all-around strain that’s ideal for beginners and anyone looking to explore the basics of how kratom will affect them.
Making the Most of Kratom for Sex
If you want to learn more about kratom’s sexual effects, the best thing to do is incorporate kratom into your own sex life. See if you notice a difference in your own sexual function or satisfaction. While the research into kratom and sex is still limited, it is promising.
The Kratom Company carries a variety of high-quality, all-natural kratom products that you can incorporate into every aspect of your wellness lifestyle. Buy kratom powder, kratom capsules, kratom extracts, and more, and enjoy free, fast shipping. Discover how kratom can benefit you.